Akron Retirement Accounts Division Attorney

Dividing Retirement Accounts

There are several issues to consider when dividing retirement accounts in a divorce. How much of the assets are joint property and how much are pre-marital property? How should the accounts be divided? When can the non-participant spouse access the funds? What will happen if the participant passes away?

Kenneth M. Crislip, Attorney at Law, has a comprehensive understanding of these complex property division matters. He can explain the issues and offer guidance on what to expect when accessing the assets in retirement accounts.

Contact the firm to schedule a consultation.

Qualified Domestic Relations Order

A qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) outlines the plan for dividing 401(k) accounts, Roth IRAs, military pensions and other retirement assets. It specifies the percentage of the asset that should be distributed to the non-participant spouse, when the non-participant can access the assets, and how the assets should be distributed.

Mr. Crislip is a skilled family-law attorney with extensive experience handling retirement asset- division matters. He works closely with financial experts to develop a QDRO that helps ensure clients receive the assets to which they are entitled. In all property division cases, Mr. Crislip's goal is to protect his clients' rights and put them in the strongest financial position possible after the divorce.

Can You Access Retirement Assets Immediately?

You may be eager to benefit from the retirement assets and want to access your share of the account right away. However, the same provisions apply to these accounts after the divorce as they do during the marriage. There may be certain tax consequences for drawing money out of a 401(k) early, for example. Kenneth Crislip will go over these specifics to make sure you understand when you can access the accounts and the consequences for doing so.

Contact a Lawyer

For a confidential consultation with Kenneth M. Crislip, Attorney at Law, in Akron, Ohio, call 888-618-1592 toll free or contact the firm online.